[Coco] again: CoCo RGB to VGA conversion

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Wed Aug 18 13:14:25 EDT 2004

Mark

One major problem is that most modern monitors now will not do 15 KHz
horizontal sync any more. I did come across a LCD monitor that did.

The AL 875 chip is the more promising of the lot. My only concern is that an
8 bit ADC has only about 50  dB signal to noise ratio. While there literally 16
milion colors, not all will look well. In reality many of the darker colors and
hues will not be accurate due to potential noise issues. Secondary issues
are that the input signal must stay within the range of the ADC. Thespeed of
the ADC is  not a m ajor issue today as there are plenty of good quality
ADC that  have sufficient speed for video.

james