[Coco] Re: Re: Re: Nitros9 Startup Problem

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Fri Aug 13 23:15:32 EDT 2004

Boisy G. Pitre wrote:

> On Aug 13, 2004, at 6:04 PM, Robert Gault wrote:
>
>> Here is more info on this problem. View44 looks for available windows
>> using the /w  window name. This procedure will only work when there
>> are no windows with type/par set to 1 for vdg windows. The startup
>> script you are using convert /w4 into a vdg window type with par=1.
>> This does cause view44 to fail an is not a "fault" of NitrOS-9.
>>
>> There is another method for finding the next available window which is
>> much more complex than just using /w. One of the programs which I
>> wrote getnw (ie. get next window) uses this method and skips over vdg
>> type windows. It involves looking through the system device table and
>> reading descriptors to look at window types.
>>
>> Short of a significant modification to the system so that a call to
>> Open a path to /w bypasses vdg types, don't create any vdg windows
>> before using view44.
>>

> Robert,
>
> Interesting find.  I would think windint/grfint could be modified to
> skip windows that don't have a type of $80, but wouldn't the better
> choice be to use the V1-V7 VDG descriptors?
>
> Boisy

I don't know what would happen if the boot file contains vdg
descriptors. Probably that would "fix" things but it would defeat the
convenience of not having them in os9boot with conversion of windows as
needed. It is pointless to have the ability to convert windows to the
vdg type and then not be able to use the option. I think we should look
for ways to "correct" windint/grfint.

What should both work and be reasonably convenient is to deiniz vdg
windows before starting programs such as view44.