[Coco] Supercomm: more details

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Fri Aug 13 20:59:01 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/13/04 6:09:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, james at skwirl.ca
writes:

> As I see it, DCD should be fed by DTR and RTS... I dunno, it seems that
>  DTR would be a sensible source for DCD... DCD is more of a
>  session-based on or off, like DTR and DSR (from what I've seen in the
>  past) whereas RTS and CTS are more for hardware handshaking...

You have a good point there -- DCD is indeed session-level, like DTR and DSR.
However, many RS232 interfaces are designed to receive only when DCD is on,
to prevent responding to noise on the line (makes plenty sense with a real
modem), but I think the practice of feeding RTS to DCD on a Null modem was to make
sure the receiving end read data only when the sender was actively sending it.

ISTR some interfaces and software drivers are set up to drop the session the
first time DCD goes down -- if so, you definitely do want DCD fed from DTR,
not RTS.

Main thing is to feed *something* to DCD so it is high.  Some 25-pin RS232
interfaces supply +12 and -12 constant voltage just so you have a place to tie
such things to.  --Mike K.