[Coco] BASIC irony

tim lindner tlindner at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 12 13:02:13 EDT 2004

I am in the process of writing a tokenizer/de-tokenizer for Boisy's CoCo
Tools project and I have run accross something interesting.

Everyone knows that the apostrophe is a short cut for the REM keyword.
The the irony is that the apostrophe is tokenized as two bytes where the
REM keyword is tokenized as one.

BASIC changes the apostrophe to a colon-apostrophe. I would guess the
interrupter can only handle an apostrophe at the beggining of a new
statement.

During a LIST command BASIC drops the initial colon, so it is never
displayed.

--
tim lindner
tlindner at ix.netcom.com