[Coco] Re: chatrooms

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Thu Aug 12 01:04:43 EDT 2004

At 06:22 PM 8/11/2004, you wrote:
> > Hello Roger
>
> > I just want to express my appreciation of yours and others efforts on
> behalf
> > of the CoCo community. I saw a couple blurbs from you expressing a certian
> > amount of frustration at the apparent lack of interest in your efforts.
> > When I finally get ahead of my students I'll have a little more time to
> > fully explore your chat room. Right now I'm scrambling to stay one step
> > ahead of them 8-). I was tapped to teach a MS Word class one week before
> > the class started and MS Word is not my native tougue ;-). Sooo instead of
> > enjoying the friendly company of CoCoNuts, I'm busily studying what I have
> > to teach the next day. <sigh>

No frustration here.  I'm having a field day developing this stuff.  The
chats on Tuesday night revealed to me what needed to be done next.  For
one, I put in a new session management system.  There's 3 ways that I know
of: cookies, IP addresses, or session ID sending/returning, and the 3rd
method is in use now.  This will help people with older and odd
browsers.  I am also working on adding low-level file locking instead of
the higher-level method being used.  The advisory file locking functions of
Linux are there but HLA is not set up yet to use these functions as-is, so
I am consulting with the author on this issue.

Tonight after a few rebuilds the systems seems to be working okay.