[Coco] DECB & OS-9 Game Released

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Wed Aug 11 11:48:23 EDT 2004

Mannequin* wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just released a game called "Petals Around the Rose" if anyone is
> interested. It's a dice game that plays a little mind game with you. :)
>
><snip>
> Hope you like it! Enjoy!
> -M.

The game works well and the name clue is cute. Once the answer is known,
the response is "Duh!!, why didn't I think of that."

As for making it run faster, make sure to save it in tokenized form
instead of ascii as you have done. Try combining more commands per line.
Try using ON ..GOSUB or ON..GOTO instead of multiple IF..THEN. Place all
your goto and gosub routines at the start of the program for faster
response. Basic searches for routines from the begining of the program
and the shorter the distance, the faster they are found.

Graphics can make the generation of dies faster by using pre-drawn
images with GET/PUT. However, writing text then becomes harder unless
you use the Coco3 high res screens.