[Coco] NitrOS-9 newbie needs some help (More data)

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Wed Aug 11 08:29:44 EDT 2004

Nickolas Marentes wrote:

> Latest test includes running the 6809 version of NitrOS-9 and testing the
> formatting.
>
> Without changing the 6309 back to a 6809, I booted the CoCo3 with the 6809
> version of NitrOS-9 and began formating a disk in /D1 as 40 track double
> sided and it worked flawlessly. No changes to the CoCo3, just using the 6809
> version of NitrOS-9. I repeated the test several times, all successful.
>
> I then booted the 6309 version of NitrOS-9 and proceeded to format a disk in
> /D1 and it failed on every attempt.
>
> By failed, I mean that the CoCo3 simply freezes and remains locked up until
> I do a Cold Reset to return to Extended Color Basic.

Try one more test please. DSKINI a disk under Disk Basic; both sides 40T
if possible or just 35 track. Boot NitrOS-9, and depending on what you
could do in Disk Basic run:
format /d1 r '35' L  or  format /d1 e '40' L
It doesn't matter what case you use for the L which will do a logical
only not low level format.

There is essentially no difference in the disk driver (rb1773) nor
format regards 6809 vs 6309 code. The above test should definitively
indicate the driver or format as the software part of the problem.

I still think there is marginal hardware in your system. If not the
case, the presence of an MPI would not have any effect on formatting disks.