[Coco] NitrOS-9 newbie needs some help

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 10 20:39:21 EDT 2004

--- Nickolas Marentes <nick at launch.net.au> wrote:

> I do like the solid drive idea but it's beyond my price range and it still
> neccesitates a floppy controller therefore a multi-crap interface.
>
> I guess I'd like an internal card that uses a CF card as the "hard
> drive"...low power, fast, silent and NO MULTI-CRAP INTERFACE.   :)
>
> Your Superboard won't fit into a PAL CoCo 3.
>
> Drivewire seems to be my destiny.   :)

Nick, what about *under* the motherboard? One thing I have done is to solder a
short (about 3cm) ribbon cable with 40 pin edge connector socket directly to
the bottom of the board. You have to cut a slot in the RFI shield (or remove
it, your call) and cut a hole in the CoCo3 case to accommodate it.

This is in my repack and holds my Speech pak, which never needs to be removed.
I'd heartily recommend the Pro-tector if you do this, but I don't have one. I
haven't used it for disk access, but my FDC is, in fact, on a 5 inch extension.

I actually removed the edge connector altogether and soldered a 40 pin IDE
header to the BOTTOM (very important) of the board and modified an IDE cable by
shortening it and crimping on some edge connector sockets. I know this probably
makes some folks cringe, but I've been using it for years. It even boots
NitrOS-9 with an FD500, FD502 or J&M controller installed.

Bob