[Coco] NitrOS-9 newbie needs some help

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 10 15:20:46 EDT 2004

--- Nickolas Marentes <NickM at qm.qld.gov.au> wrote:

> I am beginning to feel that a hard drive is a must have to do anything
> serious with OS-9.

I'm hesitant to even try it without a HD because I hate swapping disks all the
time.

> What I would like is an internal IDE connector. Does anyone have one of
> these available for sale?
>
> Is there some sort of bus buffer that would allow me to keep the Multi-crap
> interface out of site or better still, mount the innards in a box along with
> floppy drives and placed under the monitor (ala TRS-80 model 1 expansion
> box)?
>
> Why do I hate the Multi-crap interface so much?

No need to preach to the choir (me anyway).

> 5) It blew my 6809 a few years back so now I don't trust it.

Probably my biggest thing too... I've (luckily) never fried anything, but can't
count the times a slight movement of the CoCo caused everything to go haywire.
There were magazine articles on how to bolt the whole assembly down to a piece
of wood or something... can you imagine the bulk?

Cloud-9 offers the Pro-tector board. I hope to get one someday, and a 6309.
Heck, I barely got 512K this year!

Anyway, the instability, massive real estate required and the extreme number of
power cords were what prompted me to repack into a PC case. See the pics:
http://www.geocities.com/theother_bob/coco_page/ccrepack.htm
also see my portable CoCo with internal floppy:
http://www.geocities.com/theother_bob/CoCo3P.html

Sounds like you should repack. It's a bit of work, especially if you want it to
look good (which I take pride in), but totally worth it.

Bob Emery