[Coco] NitrOS-9 newbie needs some help

Nickolas Marentes nick at launch.net.au
Mon Aug 9 16:49:44 EDT 2004

jdaggett at gate.net  wrote .....

One thing that comes to mind after reading what you posted and
looking at the Coco3 schematics,  I wonder if the real problem is
load capacitance and impeadance.

Nick replies ...

I personally feel that this is the problem. It all seems to similar to the
problem I had years ago with Tandy's OS-9 and the 44256 home made RAM
upgrade I had made then. I don't have a good enough CRO to see the clock
pulses directly and adjust the resistor/capacitors properly.

Changing my controller from my FD502 (which seems to fail format 9 out of 10
times) to my FD500 does improve things a bit (6 out of 10) but still not
reliable enough.

Apart from formatting a disk, I have had no problem with NitrOS-9. I do
believe it is my CoCo3.

Boisy has sent me the 50hz patched version of NitrOS-9 but I agree with Bob
Devries that I think all this will affect is the screen will stop rolling
when run with 60hz and the clock will be a bit more accurate.

Nick