[Coco] NitrOS-9 newbie needs some help

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Mon Aug 9 00:06:42 EDT 2004

Nickolas Marentes wrote:

><snip>
> Here are a few questions....
>
> 1) Why should NitrOS-9 be so fussy? I have NEVER had a problem with my CoCo3
> (A PAL unit mind you, could this be the problem?).

Disk timing is more critical in OS-9 (of any flavor) than Disk Basic.
For best results, you should make sure your drives spin at the correct
rpms. You may want to try different interleaving.

The packages that Boisy is releasing are not set for PAL systems unless
they can use a 60Hz clock. I think you may be on a 50Hz power system.
That would mean you need to use the 50Hz clock module. You could be in a
Catch22 situation if the wrong clock module is the problem. Let us know.

> 2) Other than the formatting, NitrOS-9 otherwise behaved perfectly. Is there
> a GUI available for it? I have downloaded the "Getting Started with
> NitrOS-9" and the "NitrOS-9 Level 2 Windowing System" manuals (which are
> very good!). It seems to me that much of the GUI elements are already built
> in to the system. I know of MultiVue but I shudder at trying to run that
> again.

MultiVue is the only gui OS that I know of for Coco OS-9.

> 3) Are there additional manuals available? I read in the "Getting Started"
> manual about a "NitrOS-9 Commands Reference" and a "Technical Reference"
> manual.

Boisy will be posting more documentation as members of the team generate
them. Until then just ask questions.