[Coco] Re: Coco Repack

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Fri Aug 6 22:15:03 EDT 2004

Mark

The MMU is real simple. It is basically a 2 to 1 4 bit wide multiplexor that feeds a
16x8 ram. The GIME chip uses a 16x6 ram. Most  likely the package was limited to
68 pins by Tandy and cost factors. Next standard size up is 84 pins in a PLCC
package. Given that during the 80's it was around 10 cents a pin for package cost,
another 16 pins would have meant another $1.60 for the part.

I really believe that many of the limitations of the GIME chip is solely due to keeping
costs to a bare minimum.

The VGA portion is tough to code and will occ py the most territory. That will
determine how big the FPGA is and how much any project like th is will eventually
cost. Most of the free VGA cores are more modern and do not cover CGA
resolutions. Or they are very generic and need more work to make them compatible
to 8 bit buss. One of the nice things is that the software to design the logic and
program the FPGA is free. Right now I am designing the logic for the two registers
at $FF92/3. These registers do a dual purpose. They enable interrputs and also act
as interrupt flags. When you read the register, the flags are cleared while the
interrupt remains enabled. Not a simple D-FlipFlop latch. Most of the rest of the
registers are just that, D flipflop latches.

Then there will be the 2 to 1 (21) bit wide multiplexor to switch between video
memory and program/data memory. The hardest part is keeping remebering that
the 6809 latches data out of the CPU on the falling edge of the Qclk and latches
data in to the CPU on the falling edge of the Eclk. Have to keep in mind when the
data needs to  be presented to the CPU and when the CPU is passign data to
external devices. After all that the first half of the Eclk cycle is doing display.

Mark, like I stated in the beginning, I got started with this to use the Coco as a
postion controller and database for my telescopes. One thing that I wanted was to
be able to drive an LCD panel of some type and have OS9 boot from a flash card or
flash memory. I wanted at least 2 megs of sram and not dram. IDE interface and at
least 4 mbytes of flash for storage.

Real pipe dreams was to add firewire or USB and a parallel port to control a CCD
camera for astronomy.

So this will start as a home project and I have no idea of where it will go. I  have
toyed with the thought of a FPGA version of the 6309 and run it at say around 15 to
25 MHz. These are future t hings to work on. I am right now having fun with it and
learning VHDl in the same time frame. It is amazing what you can do with CPLDs
and FPGAs. Some of the software development boards that I designed years ago
would be more flexable and easier had I done a lot of the simple glue logic in these
devices.

james