[Coco] Re: Coco Repack

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Thu Aug 5 23:11:31 EDT 2004

Someone should be able to dig out a copy of Rainbow from around 88-90 (stopped in 92 or 93, right?) and scan a copy of the TC-9 ad. IIRC it was a back plane design with multiple expansion boards. It was compatible with OS-9 only. There had been plans for DECB compatibility early on, but that feature never surfaced. There was a 68K expansion board for it though. All in all I think it a bit more complicated than the simple CoCo. If you want something faster or has more features, there are plenty computers out there. Of course the repack could be faster than the original, but if it were to be truly CoCo compatible it would have to have a hard or software "slow down" to at least ~2 MHz to keep some programs happy (timing issues). Other than that I don't see why it shouldn't be run at 4-10 MHz if the FPGA supports it. A variable speed control of some sort would be a nice feature though. Maybe a hardware selectable crystal?? Would have to turn it off and reboot to select a different speed that way, but would be nice for some projects.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Independent

-------------- Original message from coco-request at maltedmedia.com: --------------