[Coco] Old Coco Info

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Thu Aug 5 23:10:59 EDT 2004

In a message dated 8/5/04 10:36:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
smostrom at mn.rr.com writes:

> "LATEST RUMORS: Designers of Radio Shack's successor to the TRS-80 Model
>  I have changed their minds and will employ Microsoft for writing the
>  BASIC interpreter and operating system.  Motorola also made a bid to do
>  this development; however, Microsoft ended up with the contract.  Radio
>  Shack had been planning to call the unit the "TRS-90", but the firm is
>  now leaning toward "TRS-80/Color".  -- March 1980, pg. 108, BYTE

Sorry if it's common knowledge, but who/what did write the BASIC for the B&W
TRS-80?  Wasn't that Microsoft too?

FWIW, much as I love Motorola, I think Microsoft was the better contractor to
write a BASIC.  OTOH, neither would I want a car radio or walkie-talkie built
by Microsoft :-)

I'd also heard that the Coco was almost called the TRS-90, but Tandy was
afraid it would sound like  a "better" model and hurt TRS-80 sales.  And the
"Trash-80" really was better for text apps.  --Mike K.