[Coco] Emulator problems

David J Bush twixt at cstone.net
Tue Aug 31 18:32:26 EDT 2004

I got my CC3 emulator in the mail yesterday, August 30.

My OS is Windows 98 SE. I have all the necessary updates from
the WindowsUpdate website.

My drive is a CD-ROM drive. Am I supposed to have a CD-R drive
to read this disc correctly?

Under Windows, I am able to open the first folder, CoCo_CoCo3.
I can then open some of the sub folders such as
"COCO Emulator docs"
I believe I was able to read the MS Word file there, although it
wasn't particularly helpful, dealing with added assembly language
instructions.

When I try to read any html or pdf file, my system crashes. It
crashes so hard, I can't even reboot. I have to turn the computer
off.

When I try to open the folder "CoCo3 512k emulator v2.0" the
system hangs and probably crashes, but I have learned to quickly
reboot at the first sign of trouble, so I'm not sure if it would
have crashed or not.

If I try to access the disc within DOS, the folder names are much
shorter and not very informative. And I sure can't read any html
or pdf files (at least, not the way they were intended to be
viewed.)

A piece of paper that came with the CD gave me a URL. Here is a
quote from the installation instructions:

"Included in the zip is a Disk BASIC cartridge which will need to be
inserted into a multi-pak slot before COCO disk can be accessed."

Uh, this is an **emulator** here. How am I supposed to insert anything
into a multipak slot?

Then it tells me to execute the file "COCO" well what folder is it in?
Am I supposed to search around under DOS for this file, with the
truncated and confusing directory names?

I notice there is a file "rs405eng.exe" on the disc. rs might mean
Radio Shack, but I'm not about to execute a file without documentation
telling me to. And why is winamp206.exe on the disc also? What do I
need winamp for? Is this a virus?

Someone else mentioned a FAQ. Where is this FAQ?

Should I contact David Keil for assistance? Does he have an email, or
must I use the snail mail address I got?

So far, I'm glad no one asked me for money first.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

David Bush