[Coco] NitrOS-9 newbie needs some help (Final)

Nickolas Marentes nick at launch.net.au
Thu Aug 12 16:22:42 EDT 2004

Boisy Wrote...

I think we've exhausted all possible avenues of exploration here.  My
conclusion is that it is a timing issue in the SS.WTrk code of rb1773
that seems to appear on your 6309-ized CoCo 3, and is somewhat dampened
by the presence of a Multi-Pak.

We could do a lot of back and forth in trying to solve this, but for
now I think I will make some notes about this, and try to address this
for the next release of NitrOS-9.

The current workaround for you seems to be working in NitrOS-9/6809
Level 2 to do your formatting.  It's not the optimal solution, but it
works.

Nick Replies...

I agree. I believe this is a good explanation for now. I guess the only
question that remains is whether the 6309 version of NitrOS-9 fails under
all PAL based CoCo3's and not just mine. Maybe Bob Devries (who lives near
me) can give it a try for us with a 6309 CoCo3?

If it fails on his also, it may be worthwhile to correct the timing issue of
6309 NitrOS-9 so that it is compatible with all CoCo3's world wide.

If it's isolated to mine then bad luck on me. Like you said, I can always
format disks under 6809 NitrOS-9.

Besides, I've made the decision that I won't go any further with OS-9 until
I get a hard drive going or at least get Cloud 9's DriveCable product (which
is my current preferred). Can you tell me if the DriveCable server acts as a
hard drive or as "virtual floppy drives"? For example, can I setup a 5 Mb
"hard drive" using the DriveCable? I understand that it will run at floppy
disk speeds but that is ok with me.