[Coco] Re: Coco Digest, Vol 10, Issue 17

farna at att.net farna at att.net
Fri Aug 6 23:34:02 EDT 2004

1. Thanks for being patient with your answers John! I understand most of the concepts, but have no indepth knowledge of chips and their limitations. Thanks for the explanations. I know just enough to grasp what you're saying and doing! It looks like a truly useful small board computer could be made with the 6309 and GIME in FPGA.

There was once a mini board PC (XT and AT compatibles, not sure if a 386 version was ever made) that was on a board the size of a 5.25" floppy drive. The main board had a floppy controller and serial I/O, along with memory and other essentials like keyboard and I think CGA video... but video may have been on a daughter board for the first models. There was a daughter board that stacked on top of the main board. IIRC the connector was along an edge and was a row of pins. The daughter board had the the male pins and a matcing female socket on the other side of the borad so a third board could be stacked on too, but I don't recall any third boards. It was made this way so the entire computer could be housed in a single full height floppy case, which would hold one half high floppy and the two necessary boards for a fully functioning XT or AT computer. A case that staked two full height floppies would be needed to use a hard drive. The board was designed to screw to the top of the floppy drive. I'm sure a fully functioning CoCo with all necessary I/O could be built on one 5.25" floppy size board, even with full IDE and floppy controllers (using one of the super I/O chips). It could probably be done on a 3.5" floppy size board if it stuck with USB I/O for everything (at least mass storage -- a PS/2 keyboard connector would be nice, but that could be USB as well under OS-9, DECB might be a problem, but maybe not for some of you guys! I just do a little line number BASIC... or rather DID!!). If it's easy to interface to and program, and inexpensive but more powerful than the Stamp or PIC computers, I think it would be a winner.

One reason I said keep the joystick type ports (wouldn't have to be for joysticks) is because they are D/A converters. I worked up a prototype "glass dashboard" in BASIC using the joystick ports for inputs. I forget what I used the button inputs for, I'm thinking as counters for the speedo and tach -- it was a logn time ago. The pot ports were used for variable resistance type sending units -- fuel and temp gauges, as well as oil pressure. Just had to know the range of the stock automotive sending units. There wasn't an adequate display to use, and the CoCo board is a bit big to mount under a dash. Now there are $100 5" LCD displays with composite inputs... still, the board is to big and a PIC or Stamp doesn't seem to have the easy to program I/O. Maybe if I took the time to learn more about them, but the project died for me a long time ago. Now I'd reconsider, but don't want to learn totally new systems like the Stamp. A digital dash could be retailed for around $500 that would blow anything currently available out of the water! I had envisioned two modes: "performance" with a digital representation of analog gauges, and "cruising" with simple number displays and trip computer type info. All I ever programmed was the basic "cruising" display without the trip computer -- just inputs that would display labeled numbers when the sending units changed. I didn't quite figure out what to use for a tach signal, but used a magnetic switch for the speedo input (with a magnet on the driveshaft, like cruise control).

2. Dave, that "daughter board" CPU enhancement sounds fantastic! I'm assuming you would eventually make a board that would just stick down into a socket where the 6809 was anyway, even for your own project. If you're not interested in pursuing that any further than something for yourself, how about passing the info to Mark for possible development? Mark doesn't make much from any of the projects he does, it's mostly a hobby that at least pays for itself (like my AMC magazine), and provides other enthusiasts access to neat hardware they otherwise couldn't get.

3. If you're using this for telescope control (the FPGA thing), why worry with VGA output? Why not limit it to composite (NTSC)? There are inexpensive NTSC signal LCD displays out now, check in automotive video catalogs/stores. Would they have enough resolution?? Coding would be easier and less complicated.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Independent

-------------- Original message from coco-request at maltedmedia.com: --------------