[Coco] Re: Speed up and slow down POKE

Torsten Dittel Torsten at Dittel.info
Mon Aug 2 05:32:49 EDT 2004

> True but the loss of video on the 1 likely or 2 less likey but still
> possible I always regarded as a failure and on the very earliest boards of
> the CoCo 1 you could get other problems especially corruption of some RAM
> although that would take a while.  I didn't like to leave a programme
> running at full double speed and have the video go crazy.  This was never a
> problem on a 3

AFAIR memory loss was taking place on all CoCo1/2 boards because the
dynamic RAM isn't refreshed any longer while on "dope". However, there
was some software using the mode (remember that great music program from
the Rainbow playing tunes like "Axel F."?). The trick was to return to
the "normal" speed at times e.g. in the vertical blank interrupt service
routine to allow memory refresh).

Torsten