[Coco] Re: Re: JPEG

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Tue Apr 27 18:13:29 EDT 2004

At 02:59 PM 4/27/2004 -0700, you wrote:
> > That's where the real problem is for most usage specially things like
> > digital cameras. There is a format that should work for most browsers,
> > PNG, which does not have a pattent, handles up to 48 bit color, and has
> > reasonable compression.
> > http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/

I wouldn't be surprised if the PNG format has a patent even though it's a
"free" format.  I wonder how many people knew about the JPEG patent?  I've
studied the JPEG specs and recently looked over the long patent, and the
patent clearly describes the JPEG format.  My guess is that some weasle out
there is waiting for the PNG format to become widespread, then go in for
the kill.  This seems to be a common game, anyway.