[Coco] [Color Computer] Re: Lower case

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz bathory at maltedmedia.com
Mon Apr 26 14:55:24 EDT 2004

At 06:44 PM 4/26/04 -0000, James the Animal Tamer wrote:
>I'd have to see it to believe it.
>Most "lowercase" add-ons for the CoCo just provided the ability to
>draw the letters on the hi-res screen.
>Now, the 6847 chip has the ability to access an external character
>generator ROM -- that's the default mode of operation on the NEC Trek
>computer.  I don't know if this was ever done with the CoCo.

Of course it was done! :) That's what my Green Mountain Micro Lowerkit did,
and it was among the first lowercase add-ons out there. We offered a whole
series of EPROMs with difference character sets as well as lowercase.

The full build-it-yourself instructions were published (I think in TCCM),
and the "Museum of Lowerkits" came along with me to the CoCoFest several
years ago.

Dennis