[Coco] RE: using PC power supply

x0remery at dsbmail.itg.ti.com x0remery at dsbmail.itg.ti.com
Mon Apr 19 23:36:14 EDT 2004

>> PS: The solution to the 8v power problem (when using a PC power supply) is
>> to bypass the cap. Either jumper across it with a wire (as noted in the
>> article) or go under the RF shield and short the capacitor's leads with solder.
>

>    I thought of shorting the capacitor but that could cause loss of some
> of the noise immunity the circuit was designed for.  I was also having
> some reliability problems when the PC power supply provided the 24 volts.
> In the end, it was less trouble for me to use the original supply transformer.

Okay, but the noise it's intended to filter is due to the AC voltage going
through it.
With the PC supply, it's pre-filtered so the cap is no longer needed. I'd venture
that the voltage coming from  the PC's 12V rail is cleaner than the post-cap
"filtered" voltage originally fed to the 8v regulator. My RF output is clean.

Bob
(theother_bob at yahoo)