[Coco] Old ISA modems with jumpers...

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Mon Apr 19 23:15:51 EDT 2004

In a message dated 4/19/04 9:24:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dbree at duo-county.com writes:

> > 1. You can watch the lights and see how the transfers are doing, both up
> and downloading
>
>  Yes, you certainly can.  It's possible that one could detect when
>  unauthorized activity was going on.

Absolutely!  Recently, during an extended Web surfing session, I saw a lot of
action on the RS and SD LEDs when I was just sitting reading a page.  I
logged off quick.

>  > 2. You can use it on any PC, including Linux
>
>  I'd be inclined to change that to "especially" Linux.  Many of the
>  internal modems (PCI, anyway) are software modems (WinModems).  AIUI,
>  many, if not most, don't have drivers for them.  An external doesn't
>  even need a driver, as such, just a few AT commands to get them online
>  and you're all set.

Yep, that's what I was thinking of, just didn't emphasize it.  I'll probably
never put my Linux box online, but if I do, I've got the modem right here.

>  > 3. Doesn't take an expansion slot
>  That's not a problem in itself in my case, but, given the power
>  consumption and heat generation of the modern computers (although mine
>  ain't one of them), it's one less card to obstruct air flow and use
>  power thus generating heat inside the case.

I hadn't thought of that, but with the wimpy fans they sell nowadays, it's
wroth thinking about.  Also, you needn't worry about your modem becoming
obsolete when the bus architectures change over (like ISA to PCI to who knows next?).

>  As you said above, all the pretty lights make for decoration, not
>  clutter ;-)  But, seriously, they are much easier to diagnose.

Well, I didn't mean to imply they're decorative (if some were green instead
of red it would help :-), but you're dead on about diagnosis and just having a
feel for what's happening.  --Mike K.