[Coco] Re: Old ISA modems with jumpers...

Richard E. Crislip rcrislip at neo.rr.com
Sun Apr 18 22:24:18 EDT 2004

Hello Roger

> I pulled several of those modems from PCs I aquired but have not tested
> them.  For some reason I just can't get Windows XP to "see" any old modem
> card I plug in.

That's because XP is not supposed to see them. These are old "real mode",
DOS days devices that M$ is trying to do away with. NT,2000 and XP are from
a different code base than the DOS, Win3.x, Win9x and ME . Those were based
on the old DOS code. This is also why you can not touch the hardware from
any of the NT based Win OS's (NT 2000 and XP). They are designed to prevent
that. They will crash the system before they allow it.

Regards
--
Cruisen                                                    _|_
              on AutoPilot with an Amiga   ---o-( )-o---   and a CoCo

                                             Richard