[Coco] Re: speaking of HDB-DOS...

Bob theother_bob at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 05:24:49 EDT 2004

> > I need a surefire way to detect if a CoCo3 is running HDB or RGB-DOS.
> >

> I don't remember seeing any answer to this question from Boisy or Mark.
> I certainly can't speak for them but the answer probably will be there
> is no foolproof method. The copyright message for the version of HDBDOS
> I have access to, 1.0, does not have the message fixed in memory with an
> ORG statement. That means any upgrades to the code could shift its location.
>
> If you want to make your FOG code more complex and attempt a foolproof
> ID of HDBDOS as an alternative to RSDOS, you will need to search the ROM
> space for "HDB-DOS" (or maybe AES) rather than looking at a fixed
> location for a byte match up.

That sounds reasonable... thanks Robert! AES?
Searching will be fine since it's only done once by the installer.

Yes, the code is, um, taking on a life of it's own. I've been at this program
for two years now (just in spare time) but it still feels like I'm just
beginning. It's grown from one BIN and one BAS program to... well, currently
the installer copies three of the six executable modules and two supporting
binaries and then creates error message data, FOG Help, graphics data, and user
configuration files... plus whatever fonts I've scrounged, and still a little
room for some of my old PMODE graphics, just for fun!

cheers,
Bob