[Coco] MESS info and SCC

tim lindner tlindner at ix.netcom.com
Thu Apr 1 19:15:21 EST 2004

<secure at ytunnelpro.com> wrote:

> I've been looking through the MESS docs (haven't hit the source code
> yet) and was wondering if anyone knows off hand if the AY-3-8913 sound
> chip from the speech and sound cart is supported or emulated? I believe
> this chip is similar to (or IS) the YM-2149 or at least compatible. I
> know this was used by the Intellivision, MSX, ZX 128, and a couple of
> other comps/consoles and I'm fairly sure it's supported in MAME.

This has been one of my projects. The current progress is:

Sound chip (AY-3-8913) done. Completed a long time ago for the MAME
project.

Speech Chip (SPO0256-AL2) done. Completed late last year for the MAME
project.

Microcontroller (PIC7040 [a relabeled TMS7040]). This was the biggest
missing piece. Currently (in the MESS tree) I have a 95% done
implementation of the TMS70x0. I also have a dump of the ROM inside of
the PIC7040.

Since I have all of these components ready to go, it should not be too
hard to get the thing up and running. The are two thing stopping me. I
made a promis to myself to finish a new wd179x implementation before I
work any further on the SSC. The other thing is I havent been working on
the new wd179x either. Busy with work and other parts of life.

> As a side note are the regs for the SSC documented anywere online?

I think the manual is on RTSI somewhere. But I found the service manual
and put it online:

http://home.netcom.com/~tlindner/ReproDoc.html

As a side note: The PinMAME project recently used my TMS7040 core in one
of their pinball emulations. The guy who used it, said it pushed sound
samples to a speaker on command of the main CPU. I forget which pinball
machine it was used in.

Since PinMAME is Windows only, I have never seen it in action.

--
tim lindner
tlindner at ix.netcom.com                                        Bright