[Coco] JPEG, GIF, and patents... (Auto-discard notification)

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz bathory at maltedmedia.com
Tue Apr 27 21:35:35 EDT 2004

>From: Alex Evans <alxevans at alxevans.cnc.net>
>To: CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>Subject: Re: [Coco] JPEG, GIF, and patents...
>Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:19:56 -1000 (HST)
>

>---- CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
>>

>>   I was wondering if I could save myself a short patent search if someone
>> happened to have the patent number for the "best" JPEG and GIF patents.  I
>> understand that gif is Lempel-Ziv compression, but don't know anything
>> about JPEG.  I'm not too bad with patents either...
>>          - Aaron
>
>PNG was specifically designed to be unencumbered by patentes.  GIF is no
longer covered by any patents in the United States (the UNISYS LZW patent
has expired in the US, but my understanding that the patent is still
applicable in some other countries i.e. Canada).  You can see some of the
details on a number of the anti-software patent web sites
(http://www.gnu.org being one).