[Coco] gcc-coco revisited

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Oct 31 22:22:02 EST 2003

On Friday 31 October 2003 21:50, KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 10/31/03 12:08:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>
>dbree at duo-county.com writes:
>> > And (4) a lost of Coconuts are used to its syntax and
>> > pseudo-ops.
>>
>>  Yes, this poses the biggest problem for me.
>>
>>  > Learning
>>  > the pseudo-ops and memory allocation conventions of different
>>  > assemblers
>
>(

>>  > say nothing of macro processing) can be a big learning curve.
>>
>>  Of course, unless you wish to stop compiling before the assembly
>> stage for debugging purposes (e.g. cc -a), and try to read the
>> assembly source, then the difference would be transparent to the
>> user.
>
>Yes, though most of us have looked at intermediate assembly for
> debugging, learning, and other reasons.  Another issue would be
> whether hand-coded assembler routines could still be linked in with
> the GCC ones.

Thats one thing that under normal conditions, GCC cannot do, it has no
#ASM directive.  That said, I've noted that since forever, compiling
a linux kernel gets you one string of about 6 warnings from the
assembler itself about the code that GAS or previously AS was
compiling, so I assume someone has figured out a way around that, at
least on X86 hardware.  But I've NDI where its at in the kernel
src's.

>Maybe the real question is user base -- would this GCC be used
> mostly by old hands who still know and love assembly, and would
> want to at least look at it now and then -- or would this attract
> new programmers who wouldn't know SEX from PULS and don't care?
> What the heck, there are C compilers that don't even generate
> intermediate assembly code.  Not that I would want to debug with
> one.

Deliver us from that, the thought even scares me. :(

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M