[Coco] gcc-coco revisited

James Dessart james at skwirl.ca
Fri Oct 31 12:52:00 EST 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Neil Morrison wrote:

> My question is, why do this? C++ seems like overkill for a processor
> such a this. From what I have seen very few projects are written
> which truly use the C++ extensions, most seem to be written as C with
> C++ headers. I'd rather see a good Pascal compiler.

Theoretically, if there's a pascal frontend for gcc, and it doesn't
require more than the c compiler, you could get pascal rather easily.  I
just haven't tried, not being a pascal user.  In fact, any front-end
language that gcc can support can be used, as long as they don't require
any more than our back-end supports.

As for using C++ vs. non-object-oriented languages, it's all a matter of
your needs and preference.  Although, I'd have to agree, the places where
C++ works best is for large-scale projects, the kind that wouldn't work
well on a CoCo.

james