[Coco] gcc-coco revisited

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Fri Oct 31 11:02:01 EST 2003

In a message dated 10/31/03 10:18:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
james at skwirl.ca writes:

> The way this would usually be done with gcc is to make two separate
>  targets, one called Coco-RSDOS and another called Coco-OS9 (or whatever.)

Just thought I'd remind everyone that, when compiling *applications* to run
under OS-9 L2 (not L1), you don't need Position-independent code (PIC).  Under
L2, apps run as if ORG 0, and the DAT relocation hardware maps it into real
memory addresses.

Thus writing for L2 is like writing for RSDOS, in that you don't need all the
PC-relative and X/Y-based addressing.   I wrote a filter utility, CNoY, to
take those clunky addressing mods out of assembly code generated by the
Microware C compiler.

This could be taken into account in the options used when compiling and
linking.

Of course for system programs (like drivers) and L1 operation, you have to
respect the original PIC conventions.  --Mike K.