[Coco] CoCo IDE update

Bill Cousert billcousert at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 28 04:54:00 EST 2003

Have you thought about adding a macro language? Microsoft has a control that will let you use any of the .net languages, or you could use Mozilla's version of javascript.

Roger Taylor <rtaylor at bayou.com> wrote:
I am happy to say that I have the editor part of the CoCo IDE pretty much
complete. 6809/6309 syntax coloring is working great, which allows you to
really see your source code better. There are modes to color different
classes of words, like psuedo-ops, mnemonics, registers, with different
colors. I am adding other classes you can choose when debugging, like
stack operations, relative instructions, memory transfers, etc. This will
allow you to see very clearly the structure of your source code.

Binary files will be possible to add and edit using a nice Hex Editor,
again, in their own file window just like the .asm files. Binary files can
be embedded or includebin'ed by CCASM directly into the codestream during
assembly. The program will simply wrap around the data just as if you
built it with FCB statements, etc.

The assembly and emulation features are being added in now. I am doing
rough sessions that assemble a file, copy it to a new virtual disk (JVC)
and then boot right into M.E.S.S. (coco3h) with the disk mounted. ROMs are
also being built and mounted.

My first example ROM Pak is a hello.asm file having an origin of 49152,
that simply clears the screen and writes a few messages to the screen, then
loops forever. To sum it up, I am clicking "build" and watching my source
code come alive as a ROM Pak in M.E.S.S. The emulator window just pops up
on the screen, running the Pak. This virtual pak could be burned to an
EPROM. That is, if it were worth it. :)

This CoCo IDE will be my most useful piece of software yet. How smart will
it be? My first example floppy disk project will be none other than
Projector-3. You will be able to Open the project file, click Go! and the
massively-coded Projector-3 system will be running in M.E.S.S. within a few
seconds. Yes, ofcourse you'll be able to edit P-3 and do whatever with it.