[Coco] Eudora users: Please remove X-Sender

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Mon Oct 27 11:48:00 EST 2003

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

> I haven't seen any other mail come in with this header except for Eudora
> users. I use Eudora, but my email is so public that I don't really care.

I Have seen other mail/news servers tack on e-mail headers to track
abuse or original senders.  Some are encrypted, some are not.

If anyone here wants an e-mail address that they can use in public postings,
they can go to http://encompasserve.org, and get a shell account.

You can configure the mail program to automatically forward any direct e-mail
to your preferred e-mail account, or you can pick up your mail from the
server by a variety of methods.  I can help anyone that needs assistance
with setting that up.

Then you can sign up that address to this list or gmane for posting, and set
all but one of your posting addresses to "nomail"

You can also send e-mail directly through the encompasserve.org SMTP server
from most e-mail clients that support SSL.

It will not be 100% spam free, but the postmaster is very diligent about
keeping good mail coming in, and spam out.  Address spoofing viruses are
handled by the postmaster, other viruses are removed from mail when detected.
The postmaster may also be handling the mass mailer viruses.  I have not
seen one for quite a while.

Keep in mind that encompasserve.org is run as a hobby computer consulting
service by professionals in their spare time.  While it is usually up, it is
not a fault tolerant configuration.  In my experience though, it's uptime
has been far better than any of the mail servers for my broadband internet
suppliers.

--
-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net