[Coco] Reading through a firewall (was Re: spam in this list)

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Oct 24 16:36:00 EDT 2003

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
> Bob wrote:
>
>>My only problem with the new list is that I can't keep up with it at
>>work like I can BLC... but the spam was making that tough anyway.
>
> You can't reach the public news.gmane.org server to read in
> gmane.comp.hardware.tandy.coco?

Some corporate networks run their own local news servers, and will not
allow direct access to external servers.

I do not know if gmane will allow their news server to be peered with
these internal news servers.

In any case both this list, and the gmane.org newserver will allow you
to look at what is posted from any web browser.

You can set up an e-mail address for posting only by signing up for the
list, and then using the web form to set it no-mail.

You can also access the gmane news server through a text base news
reader from a telnet session on Encompasserve.org.  A mostly
auto-moderated read only copy of the bit.listserv.coco list is available
in a notes conference there.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only