[Coco] Spam

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Oct 20 04:34:00 EDT 2003

On Monday 20 October 2003 01:29, Dave Kelly wrote:
>On Sunday 19 October 2003 12:46 pm, you wrote:
>> I think everyone is receiving the Microsoft +variations with the
>> attachment about a patch (with variation on the description)  I've
>> managed to train Spamkiller on some of these but there are so many
>> variations that even so
>
>If anyone is using linux, I would suggest they look at
>
>http://mailfilter.sourceforge.net/
>http://freshmeat.net/projects/poppy/?topic_id=28
>
>I use both of these and can cull thru 100 messages in about 3 to 4
> minutes. and then download the rest with 'kmail' sorting by
> subject.
>
>Dave

Later versions of kmail have their own version of poppy, and can
delete unwanted stuff from the pop3 server before actually dl'ing and
filtering the rest of it.

My main problem with that is that for some reason, kmail in earlier
versions, has been known to suddenly blank its database of triggers
after working great for a month or so.  I'm setting up a new list as
we go again, something I haven't tried since updateing the kde build
to 3.1.1a with konstruct not too long before my little 2 month
hiatius.  Its dl and sort filter has not had that problem, and has
sorted much of this stuff to the JunqueMail folder and marked it as
read to boot.  It also has quite a list of other actions it might
take, including fwding the crap to uce at ftc.gov.  Unforch, that hides
the headers that the ftc needs to trace the crap so I haven't used it
much.