[Coco] Dumb drive question?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Tue Oct 14 00:38:00 EDT 2003

jimcox at miba51.com wrote:
> Well, it seems there are a lot of use who are having senior moments
> lately?  Are the 5.25" drives for the CoCo DSDD or SSSD, or what.

Yes.

There is no difference in SD or DD drives.  It is the controller that
makes the difference.

The Extended Color Disk Basic ROM only knows how to read/write SSDD 35
track drives.  The other operating systems for the cococ can use DSDD
and DSSD disks of any  number of tracks.

Tandy originally sold 35 track SSDD drives, and then sold 40 track SSDD
drives, and finally sold 40 track DDDD drives.

So what you have depends on when you purchased it.  I replaced the 35
track SSDD drives with 40 track DDDD drives as a matter of course.

> I know I should have the docs. to look this up, but my house is sort of in
> a chaotic state.:)

Is that the state where they just redid the election, or the one where
they have trouble counting? :-)

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only