[Coco] Cutting Cord

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat Oct 11 20:52:00 EDT 2003

jimcox at miba51.com wrote:
> Why should it be shut down?
> As bad as the situation is, I don't think it needs to be shut down.  For
> those who don't want to deal with all the spam, they can always
> unsubscribe from the list.

I will be monitoring the Encompasserve.org auto-moderated mirror of the
bit.listserv.coco newsgroup for a while to see how the traffic volume goes.

The moderator program knows what postings come from news posters and
which ones come from the mailing list gateway.  I can probably modify
the script to keep track of when the real postings from the princeton
list go to zero.

Once they go to zero, and stay there for some time, then would be the
time to request that the Princeton list be discontinued, and for newsguy
to either shutdown their gateway, or connect their gateway to this list.

[For those who did not realize this, newsguy was not the source of any
of the spam, they were running the gateway from the princeton list and
just passing everything through.]

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only