[Coco] Re: Cross posting between lists?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat Oct 11 20:44:00 EDT 2003

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
> I have found the option and *for now* will enable the BCC option. Since
> this is a major spam source, it may be necessary to turn it back off again
> in the future. Let's stay flexible!

This should only be a problem if a spammer is pretending to be a
subscribed member of the mailing list.  With a members only list, I
would expect that to be very unlikely.

I did have quite a few days where the SOBIG worm was forging my QSL.NET
address, which identified a handful of mail servers that were
incorrectly generating undeliverable messages instead of using SMTP
rejects, and a number of misconfigured virus scanners that were also
doing that.

But as far as I can tell, no forged e-mails with my address were sent to
anyone or any lists that I really send e-mails to.

The SAMBA.ORG mailing lists were also hit by SOBIG forging their
address, and as they are open lists, it caused a bit of a mess.  The
mail server operator set a rule to identify these misconfigured mail
servers and reject the "fake" bounces and useless virus reports with 550
codes.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only