[Coco] [Color Computer] Max number of disk drives?

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sat Oct 11 08:00:01 EDT 2003

> What's the maximum number of disk drives you can connect to a CoCo
> assuming you are going through a MPI?

Is it even possible to use more than one disk interface at a time?
They address in the same space so it would require some kind of
toggling.

That said, there was a hack that let the control lines address way more
disk drives than normal.  Originally we could have, what, 6 drives max
(single sided)?  Then with double sided, I think it was three.  You had
one line for side select, then 2 lines for the actual drive?  The hack
was a hardware mod that read those lines binary and then did the actual
switching of more drives.

Someone at the Atlanta CoCoFest in 93 or 94 or 95 was telling me about
it.  But I can't remember how many drive select lines there are to know
what the actual number was.

'course, RGB-DOS let you have 256 virtual floppies...

		Allen