[Coco] Re: spam in this list

Stephen H. Fischer SFischer1 at MindSpring.com
Sun Oct 19 22:16:02 EDT 2003

Hi,

I think we should think about having the Princeton CoCo List server shut
down, or at least have the link to the UseNet list cut.

What will be the reaction of someone searching for CoCo Lists and finding
Either the List or the UseNet group and see that ALL of the messages are
SPAM and not about the CoCo.

We can try and advertise the new Spam free list, but the old ones have so
many references that they will be found first. The UseNet group CANNOT be
stopped as there is no one place that owns it. Or am I wrong? The spam
reduced by cutting the link will help.

CoCo web sites will be a good place to tell Surfers where we are and why,
but periodic messages to the Princeton list and UseNet group will be lost in
the flood of Spam I suspect. Any one posting may get several messages
welcoming them to the new list and suggesting that they not use the old
lists, or am I wrong about that. What reasons can be made for using the old
lists now?

Fragmenting the community is not the biggest problem, people seeing so much
SPAM is. How many messages about people leaving have you read?

The fast dropping of the count of users on the Princeton list has been
reported.

The un lurking of some people that never posted to the Princeton list is
continuing at a rapid rate and is a very positive sign.

Maybe we should mine the old list references for user names and sent a
upbeat message telling them about the new Spam free lists.

I like many others are very happy with the switch already, it just seems to
be very good. Praise to all involved is befitting.

Stephen H. Fischer <sfischer1 at mindspring.com>