[Coco] rsync

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sun Oct 19 11:46:00 EDT 2003

I just got the major technical hurdles done with a side project that I
am working on.  Getting rsync to run on OpenVMS.  I still have some
major bugs to work out, but the two difficult ones where solved, and it
is transfering files correctly.

But to tie this into why it is on topic for the COCO list.

If you are working on an open source project and are making your source
available to others, rsync is of use as an alternative to CVS or FTP.

Many of the open source project already have rsync servers.

What rsync does is allow you to only download the changed sources to a
project instead of using ftp to get a tarball, or to use CVS to look up
what has changed.

And rsync only transfers the changed portions of the files.

So rsync is a lower bandwidth alternative.  Clients and servers are
availble for Microsoft Windows, and for most UNIX/LINUX servers.

There are a number of interesting projects that people are working on,
and rsync can make it easier for others to join in.

rsync can be put as a scheduled task to do a daily update of changes.

You can also use rsync to replicate the sources between multiple systems
on your network, so that you can both keep multiple platforms running
the same source, and have backup failures in case of a hard drive failure.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only