[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] PC Lyra

Roger Taylor rtaylor at bayou.com
Sun Nov 30 00:00:12 EST 2003

At 02:03 PM 11/29/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>Does anyone have PC Lyra version 1.66 or greater?
>If so, can someone help me get mine to work. I'm not too sure how to
>configure it to work with my sound card (Sound Blaster AWE32).

If you're talking about the RCA Lyra Wireless xmit/rec units, I have this
but am not sure of the version.  I don't have the software CD.  XP
recognized the USB transmitter right away and gave me it's own mixer panel.

Anyway, I connected it to my PC and transmitted audio from the sound card
into a another room where the receiver was connected to a TV's audio in, so
I know it works great.  Electronically, it's about the same as running a
direct cable from the PC's audio out into the audio in of another device.
--
This reminds me of a project I did once where the CoCo in one room
transmitted a cassette audio packet into the CoCo in the living room

The transmitting CoCo had an external modem that had caller ID capability
and my software took that small amount of data that was sent in and made a
CSAVEM packet out of it, and the receiving CoCo was always in CLOADM mode
within a BASIC program that displayed the data.  I also had a PC device
call TeleSound connected to the CoCo's RS-232 Pack that could mix audio
into the phone connection and also feed the phone audio into a sampling
device/recorder.  This is where I had the ability to not only answer
certain calls automatically, but to play custom messages.  I had to hack
the TeleSound device so it would answer/hangup the call from the CoCo.  It
had something to do with the DTR signal or another typically unused RS-232
Pack signal.  Anyway, it was too many wires and trouble to keep this good
thing going for too long.

The reason I used two CoCo's is because I didn't want my main CoCo being
tied up like this doing all the work and having to be behind the TV,
etc.  Company always asked me how they could get that on their TV.  I could
easily program it to recognize a telemarketer's number, then answer and
hangup very quickly, killing the bugging rings.  :)   At this time I was
living out of state in a small town, so I eventually tracked all of the
payphones, as well.  I could tell in 1 second where one of my crazy buddies
was calling from.

I had built my personal phone assistant.

What I had in mind with the Lyra units is not to transmit music but
audio-encoded data.  There is no 1200/2400hz limit as with the CoCo's
cassette file format, so I'm sure some advanced techniques could be used to
transmit a lot of things over the air (or through wire).

{Roger Taylor}