[Coco] New game for CoCo3

Rogelio Perea os9dude at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 29 20:26:00 EST 2003

While I never had the opportunity to use Gary Kitchen's Game Maker for the
Commodore 64, I have read with great interest the ads and reviews in old
8-bit computer magazines of the 80's era. I know that for the CoCo a similar
"game writing" environment was made available but as far as I know, it was a
subset or spin off from the Color Logo environment, the final products of
that CoCo application were rather limited (I do have the CoCo "Game Maker"
system).

I do not believe that an environment such as GM on the C=64 has ever been
reproduced elsewhere in the computer world. Perhaps such an application
would open up a couple of interesting submissions from people still using
the real or emulated CoCos.

As far as a stand alone new game program for the CoCo, the old retro
classics are always very welcomed. Games that I would have loved to see in
the CoCo arena in the years it was flying high are (among many):

* Baseball, a good baseball game... the only offering is ok but the CoCo 3
can do a much better job at it. Mattel Intellivision's offering was quite
something in the early 80's... mmmm...
* Lemmings... these critters are just about everywhere, from my Intel based
PC, the MAC SE and even my Palm
* Pool - Anteco's offering in the CoCo 1/2 field is ok but as with Baseball,
the CoCo 3 can do better
* Pinball - same history, good ones (like Radio Shack's Radio Ball) were
produced but only for CoCo 1/2
* any contemporary Text adventure that exploited some of the CoCo 3
features...
* and just about any shoot-em-up. Recently I downloaded Demonstar
(shareware) and it is quite good.

So the previous list would be my suggestions on a new game for the CoCo 3.

-=[ Rogelio ]=-