[Coco] CoCo games market survey

Chris Spry bugster at cedarcomm.com
Fri Nov 28 00:04:00 EST 2003

Here are my responses to the survey and I took time to really think about
the answers, imagine that. :)

> Q1: Do you have a CoCo setup and running? If so, which models?

Tandy Color Computer 3 with 512k Memory, CM-8 RGB Monitor, Multi-Pak
Interface 26-3124 with Modified chip & wiring for CoCo 3 use, Disto Super
Controller, Orch-90 Pak, and Speech/Sound Pak, DD 360k 5.25" Drive as Drive
0 and a HD 3.5" Drive as Drive 1.

> Q2: What do you mainly use your CoCo for?

Testing other CoCo hardware and software that I get in the shop, and
developing software for the CoCo (haven't done that in a while) in RS-DOS.
I play games on occassion just 'cause I can.

> Q3: What products would you like to see developed for your CoCo that you
> would be prepared to purchase? (List in order of preference)

Number 1 & 2 are really tight for top spot in what I'd like to see...
1. An Updated DOS for RS-DOS. GUI preferred. It's in real need of a
facelift. Maybe have it truely multi-task too with multiple windows. (kind
of like GEOS for Apple & C-64 systems).
2. A C Compiler for RS-DOS that has a graphics and music/sound library
preferrably.  I'm not an assembly language pro (in fact I can't get most of
my tries working) and BASIC is too slow. CBASIC is okay, but has its speed
and other limitations too.  I, as well as probably others, could probably
make some real cool games for the CoCo if we had a better/easier language
and compiler that really used the CoCo 3's graphics capabilities and perhaps
added some sound capabilities as well.  It'd make making MiniHog much
easier.
3. The SuperIDE! Hehe. I've been waiting for a long long time for this to
come out.  I know its in production, etc, but I thought I'd mention it.

> Q4: What sort of games would you like to see developed for your CoCo? (In
> order of preference)

Gate Crasher was cool.  Personally, I'd like to see some classics get a
facelift and the CoCo is capable of it.  It's why I'm giving a try making a
Sonic clone.  Some other examples would be games like Warlords, Yars'
Revenge, Space Taxi, Super Mario Bros. and Bust A Move.

> Q5: What is your favourite CoCo game of all time and why?

Gate Crasher, but I got to mention PacDude 2, but for obvious reasons. :)

-Chris Spry