[Coco] emulator questions

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Thu Nov 27 18:00:00 EST 2003

Roger Taylor wrote:

> The RETRIEVE.EXE tool in Jeff Vavasour's CoCo emulators works well for
> moving real CoCo disks onto virtual .DSK files on your PC.
> I'm surprised nobody told you this already.  But, I'm guessing your PC's
> floppy controller would have to support 256-byte sectors and you might
> even need an older floppy drive

All PC hardware still supports the 256 byte sectors.  It is just a
question of what software interfaces are availble to access.

Given the correct software a new 5.25 inch drive should have no problem
reading any 5.25 inch COCO disk.  It may require writing a custom disk
driver depending on the OS.

And the same is the case for a 3.5 inch floppy.

It's the TRS80 Model I/III/IV that needs a special floppy controller to
read the directory track because they did something funny.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only