[Coco] Re: imgtool.exe in M.E.S.S. 0.74b is bad

Nathan Woods npwoods at cybercom.net
Thu Nov 27 08:38:00 EST 2003

Theodore A. Evans writes:

> Long file name support is not a CLI/shell issue, it is a file system
> issue.  On versions of Windows which support long file names, the CLI
> has no problem with them.

This is not quite true.  To see a demonstration of what I am referring to,
try the following on both command.com and cmd.exe (the latter of which is
only available on NT/2000/XP):

   CD "C:\Program Files"

command.com will complain about this command, because it uses long file
names; you are forced to specify "C:\Progra~1".  cmd.exe handles it fine.

> I also suspect that the stability you speak
> of is also unrelated to the shell, though it being a program like any
> other is suceptible to the same instabilities as others.

The thing about command.com is that it brings up a virtual DOS machine, and
the command line outputs characters to an emulated text mode screen.  The
same is not true for cmd.exe, in its case, the virtual DOS machine only
comes up when an MS-DOS executable is ran.