[Coco] Fwd: New subscriber bio

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Nov 24 20:52:22 EST 2003

On Monday 24 November 2003 11:45, LM wrote:
>On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
>> >I haven't been on any of the previous CoCo lists because up to
>> > this point I didn't know there was still an active CoCo
>> > community out there.  I own a CoCo and a CoCo III.  I have a ton
>> > of games in BASIC, many of them typed in from the CoCo magazines
>> > (which I still have a large stack of) or written by me.  Was
>> > hoping I might get some help from the mailing list on best ways
>> > to back up CoCo programs.  They're all on 5 and 1/4 disks which
>> > may not last much longer.  Was hoping to move them to CD through
>> > my PC. Recently ran across a PC emulator for CoCo and was also
>> > hoping I might actually be able to get some of my CoCo programs
>> > up and running again through my PC.  Would love to hear what
>> > other CoCo users are doing to preserve their old games.
>>
>> Fantastic! May I forward this brief bio to the list?
>
>Yes, that would be great.  Would love to discuss some ideas for how
> to backup old CoCo games.  I'd hate to lose all of them when the
> disks go bad.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Laura

If you are into programming in C, go take a look at bru-1.2 on rtsi.
That was a Michael Sweet original, he of the linux 'cups' fame, that
I grabbed and improved a bit many many years back.  I'd imagine it
wouldn't take all that much to convert its output stream into one big
file that could then be written to cdr/w or even to tape on the users
x86 (linux maybe?) system.  Amanda for linux for instance, wouldn't
have a problem taping the output of that version of bru that I can
foresee.  The archiveing speed if everything is optimized is about
100k a minute when recording, but is of course much slower than that
when recovering due to all the file creations when recovering with
it.

Its old style K&R C, so I've NDI if it could be easily made to run on
the much faster x86 hardware.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M