[Coco] suggestion for Ultimuse

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Wed Nov 19 23:44:00 EST 2003

In a message dated 11/18/03 9:26:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
bdevries at gil.com.au writes:

> If you do that, maybe take notice of the ENV variable TMPDIR, and save to
>  there *if* it exists (it does on my MM1)

Actually, it might be better for the user if the temp dir just goes in UME's
current working dir, so he can find it easily after a crash.  I use the
"official" Temp dir for stuff the user will never want to see (what?  never?  well,
hardly ever.)

I just remembered that it isn't necessary to spin off a separate process to
send the alarm signals.  There is an F$Alarm system call to set it up for you.
Unforch, I don't have any OSK C Library manual, so don't know how to call it
from C.  If I ever got hold of the "OSK()" C function that somebody made (not
Microware), I could do it from there, but don't remember if I have that.
Maybe I can find my 6809 C manual (along with my MM/1 8M backplane?) and copy that
syntax.

Either way, you do have to set up to catch the signal, and do the file saving
from inside the interrupt routine.

>  > Say, I wonder if UME on the MM/1 has ever crashed on anyone.

>  Not to my knowledge. I'll keep working on that aspect, though :-)

Aha, I smell a fun contest here.  Just *try* to crash my program!  And I'll
keep making it more crash-proof.  Sure sounds more productive than virus
authors and spammers versus the Forces of Good.  --Mike K.