[Coco] Re: ftp.maltedmedia

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Mon Nov 17 20:04:00 EST 2003

Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
> At 09:29 AM 11/17/03 -0500, Nathan Woods wrote:
>
> There are proxies that don't do FTP why?

Some proxies / firewall require passive mode.

Some FTP clients may not detect this and switch to that mode.

I have never had this problem with the embedded FTP client that is in a
graphical web browser.

The only time a firewall has been an issue is when I need to do an
outgoing transfer from some corporate networks.  Then I need to first
FTP to the firewall, and then connect to the destination.

Having an FTP server exposed to the Internet is no more risky than
having an HTTP server exposed.  If you can secure one, you can secure
the other.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only