[Coco] Re: ftp.maltedmedia

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Nov 17 10:08:00 EST 2003

On Monday 17 November 2003 09:29, Nathan Woods wrote:
>Dennis Bathory-Kitsz writes:
>> Because it would look exactly the same (no links, because I'm not
>> about to create links for hundreds of files) as FTP? ;)
>
>Not necessary; most web servers servers have had an option to
> provide file indexes since the NCSA httpd days.
>
>> When did FTP get passé? Most download sites are FTP (even if they
>> have a web page with the link on it), and most major software
>> players have public FTP sites for patches, documents, etc.
>
>I didn't say that FTP is passe; I was just saying that it is
> becoming passe. Perhaps most download sites are FTP now, but don't
> expect that to be the case in a few years.  Many companies are now
> phasing out FTP sites in favor of using HTTP more and more for a
> number of reasons, including maintainability (why maintain two
> sites when you can just use one site), security (there is no
> "ftps") and and ease of use.

Its not ftps, but sftp and gftp has sftp as one of its optional
operation modes.  And its author, Brian Massney, is still actively
developing it for even more features.  He is also a West Virginian
that I need to get together with at some point.  Last I knew, he was
writing code for Green Bank.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M