[Coco] Re: ftp.maltedmedia

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Nov 17 10:00:00 EST 2003

On Monday 17 November 2003 08:19, Nathan Woods wrote:
>Roger Taylor writes:
>> Dennis, I'm planning to add a menu item in the Portal-9 IDE that
>> will (upon request) check for updates to the program by logging on
>> and reading some sort of text file that lists the latest version
>> etc.  CoCo3.com can't do anonymous ftp.  I'm looking for an ftp
>> server where I can upload a small text file and maybe an upgrade
>> module that can be posted for access soon after.  Is there a way
>> to get a user directory?
>
>Very dumb question; why don't you put the text file on your web site
> and use HTTP instead of FTP?  HTTP is simpler and easier to use,
> and FTP is getting more and more passe every day.

The most basic answer is that most http emulations of ftp will not
perform a resume, only overwrites.

Thats one of the reasons I like gftp.  It can be setup so that if a
site doesn't keep the data flowing, like 20 seconds of silence, it
will disconnect, wait a few seconds and reconnect, or keep trying
until it does, and then do a resume.  I can hilite a list of 20 files
from an rpm repository, and know with absolute certainty that it will
get them, and that the md5sums will be correct when its done unless
the target site has actually crashed.

No http emulation can begin to do all that.

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III at 500mhz 320M