[Coco] MM1 programmes

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Nov 16 05:36:00 EST 2003

On Sunday 16 November 2003 05:09, Bob Devries wrote:
>Gene said:
>> That looks good Bob, I don't quickly see a reason it should lock
>> up. You might try checking to see if there is data before you read
>> it, but I don't remember that call's syntax in b09 now.
>
>Um, I'm using Basic for 68K. While not *very* different, I've been
> caught a few times.
>
>> It shouldn't
>> come back from the get until there is data IIRC, and the FEFE....
>> would seem to indicate something isn't 'kosher' in the /mi driver.
>
>I know very little about the MIDI specification, but I'm wondering
> if the FEFE isn't some sort of clocking signal.

I don't recall from my studies of it a decade back, that a clocking
signal was on the cable.  All I had was the manuals for the casios at
the time, not the full specification.

Since I also have CRAFT, thats not saying it isn't there, and for
synching purposes it sure makes a lot of sense if it was there.  But
the midi cable is badly bandwidth starved as it is when you are
trying to do a whole orchestra.  I've heard it done in Vegas though
with quite decent results, the orchestra pit was empty at the Phantom
of the Opera with Michael Crawford, and a computer monitor could be
seen in the box seat above the stage on the left.  That was about 12
years ago I think.

The whole midi system needs its data clock rate multiplied by at least
10, quite doable with modern hardware.  But its a what, 25 year old
interface standard now?  I'm surprised that it hasn't been
superceeded with something else thats faster and cheaper.  Although,
its the opto stuff that costs, and safetywise, thats needed very
badly in the average stage lashup.

Or did that happen while I was napping and I missed the announcement?

>> Also, repeated runs will fill up the device table since there
>> isn't a corresponding close to clean the table out when exiting.
>> That will take a reboot to fix.  Been there, done that... :)
>
>Actually, I did use a close. That bit of code was more psuedo than
> real.

Just checking :-)

--
Cheers, Gene